This is delicious. There’s something amazing about the sweetness of the potato, the saltiness of the bacon, and the overall warm contentment of breakfast done well.
This is what I did…
- 3 raw sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees. I had mine in for a while… much longer than the 45 mins he says to do. Mine were in for 50 mins to an hour, which made them soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- I crisped up regular bacon (I know. We should be doing turkey bacon, but I just can’t get on board with it.) and let cool.
- When the sweet potatoes were ready, I scooped out the middle, leaving a pretty good sized rim of potato there.
- Added bacon pieces, then put my raw egg in.
- Back in the oven for 5-7 mins, until the white was cooked.
- Salt, pepper, eat.
So, some notes:
- Don’t keep the potatoes with egg in the oven too long; it’s sooo much yummier when the yoke is runny.
- I made mashed sweet potatoes with the leftover insides of the potato for dinner. I’m sure it’s dealer’s choice, but they were awesome so I used them that night.
- This recipe was really similar to another one I’ve done in the past… this was a lot less dishes, and still tasted pretty good. Being honest I liked the other one better, but it’s nice to have choices.
- Don’t forget to spray the foil lightly with cooking spray when you put the halves back in the oven with the filling. I didn’t, and mine stuck to the bottom 😦
- I saved the other two halves for breakfast today, and it just wasn’t the same. My suggestion is to make these on the same day you eat them. Heating up the egg twice is a real deal breaker.